Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Still Here

So I have gotten pretty bad at this whole posting on my blog thing. Not to make an excuse or anything, but I think it’s because things here seem so normal to me. When I sit back and analyze a little though, I realize that some pretty incredible stuff is still happening to me. Like this soccer tournament I am playing in with my village’s team for example. Just to get to the field, we first have to ride our bikes for an hour and half to a jungle-soaked community right next to the mighty Chixoy River. From there, we pay a guy (something like 50 cents each) to watch our bikes while we try to convince somebody from the village to take us across the river in one of the broken down wooden rafts that has a motor attached to it. Once the price is haggled to a point where both parties agree, we get motored to the other side where the soccer field, a couple hundred spectators, and teams from 8 different communities will spend their Sundays for the next couple months. I’ve never had to work so hard to get to a soccer game. It’s a guaranteed adventure every week and I love it.  


Other than that, I’m just doing what I can to help and I’m basically half way through with this whole Peace Corps thing. A year has flown by. 

I recently had the chance to go to Tikal, the most popular national park and home to tons of Mayan ruins in the middle of the rainforest, with Andy and his mom. I have heard so much about it, and it still exceeded my expectations. Amazing. Here are some photos of that trip. 


Buds

Cool View

Temple V

2 comments:

Brian said...

Are you sure you're not on the planet Yavin 4, home of the rebel base in Star Wars episode 4? I'm glad to hear that all is well

Bob said...

I enjoyed reading about your adventures, especially the part about your dad and sis visiting you. This must be a great experience for you and something you will remember for the rest of you life. Continue to enjoy yourself and be safe. In February, did you win the soccer tournament? You must have a great team. Take care. Your cousin on your dad's side.