Friday, September 19, 2008

jual tiq li saq´e

The title means it´s hot in the sun and is the number one phrase I hear and use in q´eqchi´. I am still having a blast here in the jungle. Right now, I have access to internet because I am visiting my original host family from training. One of the daughters is getting married tomorrow, so I made the 10 hour trip today for tomorrow´s big event. Here is a picture of the tree closest to my house up there in Santa Lucía. It got struck by lightning. Don´t worry Babs, only 1 person in the history of my town has died due to lightning related injuries.


On a different note, September 15th was independance day here. So fun! The night before we celebrated the way they do every year by running home-made torches from a far away town to ours. From there, all of Santa Lucía showed up to watch 5 local girls compete in what we know as a beauty pageant. The girl I picked to win got 2nd place. The next day, we competed in a soccer tournament in the next town over and got third place. The festivities culminated that night with a dance. People were stoked to see me there and got even more jazzed when I started to dance. At one point, there were several guys crowded around the girl I was currently dancing with and myself making high-pitched sweaks to the beat of the music. Hilarious.
Work is also going well and little by little Salinas is becoming a tourist destination. I hope all is well with you. Special shout out to those of you who have mailed me stuff. It has all been great and I really enjoy hearing from you.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Ted, glad to hear that all is well. I wanted to let you know that I thought about you during my Supply Chain Management class this week. We had a group project with the following scenario: A girl was getting married in a month and had to organize all of the different things dealing with that (invitations, dress, reception, etc) and we had to show how all of it was going to get done on time and we had to be the most cost effective we could. One of the factors was that her best friend, who was serving in the Peace Corps in Guatemala, had to get home in time for the wedding. Anyways, sorry for the long, boring story. Take care.