Friday, October 24, 2008

Alive and Wet

It’s been a while, but I am still here doing my thing. I haven’t had much access to internet lately because it has been raining so much, roads have either washed away or flooded and there hasn’t been passage to any towns. We haven’t been all that affected by it here in Santa Lucía, but our neighboring towns that live by the river got it bad. People have had all of their crops and animals washed away by the river. So all these people have left are their houses. Red Cross came out this week to help them get back on their feet. Sad stuff.

On the happy side of the coin, the rains didn’t stop my soccer league this past weekend. I am now one of those freak celebrities that I talked about in an earlier post, but in many other towns. Before the games, people shout my name and when I smile and wave, most just stare at me and laugh nervously. Little by little they are learning that I’m a nice guy and nothing to be afraid of. During the games, I get an earful from the other team’s fans. Afterwards, it all depends on how my team did. Santa Lucía is currently in 3rd place. Tomorrow, we play the 4th place team, so it should be a good one.

Baseball is still played by many of the kids here, only it has changed a bit. As you may remember, everyone calls me B´ex (pronounced Besh). So, because I taught them the great American pastime, and because of my name´s striking similarity to said game, Baseball is now called B´exball. Ha, I love it.

I´ll leave you with a photo of another one of my favorite pastimes that I taught to the kids here.



Yes, the 5 year old in the background is playing air guitar with my sharpened machete. Don´t worry, he already has much more experience with those than I do.

I´ll update again soon. Hope all is well with you.

3 comments:

Ask Or Say said...

Ted when I come visit you I might never leave.

FrankieB said...

i lol'd at beshball.

glad you're doing well friend.

Brian said...

I'm glad you are playing some soccer down there, any major differences? I got to play with one of the schools in Mozambique and I had a blast. It was kind of scary because they are all about the flying karate kicks.