Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Last week in San Lucas

I move to my site in a couple days. I am excited, but of course that comes with some sadness. I have made some good buddies here in San Lucas and I really enjoy my current host family. Here is a quick list of things I will miss about this town:

  • playing basketball
  • hearing my host family shout random bad words in English just to make me laugh
  • bread
  • internet
  • the other trainees that are now my friends
  • being able to speak Spanish to anybody I want

Leaving those may be sad, but I have a whole new set of challenges ahead I am ready to face.

Tomorrow we go to the ambassador´s house to swear in as official volunteers. That means I get to wear that tie I brought.

Remember that Mayan language I get to learn? I had my first class yesterday. The 5 others and I spent a good chunk of the class laughing at these ridiculous noises we are expected to make. We left with soar throats due to said noises. Let me give some examples

  • Ma sa´ leech´ool laa´ex = how are you guys?
  • Sa´ qach´ool laa´o = we are good
  • B´ar wank eb li china us ixq = where are the beautiful women?
  • Sa´ che´= in a tree

Right now it looks just about as foreign to me as it does to you. I´ll let you know in two years if I figure it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ch'ina us. Arin wonk eb'il ch'ut?

Anonymous said...

i love how there's "wank" in the sentence about beautiful women. i'm at work and i just got a girl i work with to go buy me coffee across the street. so chill. by the way, i just decided to go to guatemala next summer. you better be living in a hut by then, and be able to teach me more sentences with "wank" in them.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'll be headed to Guatemala on Arpil 28th with the Peace Corps, Hopefully I will also learn a Mayan Language like you. check my blog out. http://ferneygiraldo.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Ted is my hero.