Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fotos and Softball

The title says it. It will only let me load 5 pictures per blog entry:
El Salto de Chilasco. The tallest in Central America.

The main lookout for the waterfall. You can see why it is called cloud forrest.


A view from inside a church overlooking San Cristobal


The bottom step of a Mayan temple currently under excavation


Teaching folks about tourism



Cool, cool stuff. On a side note, yesterday was awesome. I got asked to play on a fast-pitch softball team by a guy who is a friend of my host family who also used to be on Guatemala’s national baseball team. Although I have been to the batting cages in recent years, I don’t think I had faced live pitching since like 8th grade. I was nervous, but I figured what the hell. That feeling intensified a bit when they told me I was batting lead-off. They must have seen something in the combination of my way-too-small uniform and soccer cleats. Turns out I had nothing to be nervous about. The pitching was equivalent to the medium setting at the batting cages in Boomers. Big, juicy meatballs that were just fast enough to be straight and right down the middle. I led the game off with a triple off the top of the wall. In our double-header, I failed to make it on base once in my eight at- bats. I told the team that I am only going to be in town for another month due to my job. They said depending on how far away they send me, they would be willing to pay for my trip to make it to the games and that I could stay at any one of their houses. I told them that would be great.

If this rain lets up, I have a basketball game at 6 tonight.
I find out where I will be for the next 2 years tomorrow. I am a little nervous about it.

No comments: