Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Off to the Beautiful Boonies

They told me where I am going yesterday. Aldea Santa Lucia Lachua. Population 325. Located in the tropical rainforest in the northwest of the department Alta Verapaz, near the Mexican border. 7 km from the national park Laguna Lachua. I will have electricity, but will have to use their methods of catching rainwater. The nearest town with a market is about 20km away. I will be working in and with several associations including the national park, a municipal park, and a couple rivers. My main responsibility will be developing the whole ecotouristic (is that a word in English?) region and promoting it. They tell me the place is beautiful, and the pictures I have seen on Google confirm it. I am beyond excited for the "work" ahead.

There will be monkeys and jaguars! Lots of them! All over the place!

On Monday I will meet my counterpart (host country national that I will be working with) and then we will be off to the site for the rest of the week. Once there, I will find a place to live and get a quick feel for the area. I move there for good at the end of the month.

We won our basketball game on sunday. I fouled out early in the 4th quarter. Something tells me life in the jungle is gonna be a little different...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i read that some bus crashed in guatemala and like 40 people died and i was worried you were one of them. im turning into my mom.

but dude, the place looks awesome. laguna lachua is like the most beautiful place i've ever seen. so chill. i know you're excited about jaguars and all, but i know what my mom would tell you: "please dont be crazy"