Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Roommates

Written April 21st:
Although there aren´t any humans living in my place with me, there are plenty of other things. Here are a couple examples of creatures that I have seen in my room during the three weeks that I´ve been here.

I don´t know what this guy is called, but he only comes out at night. He´s pretty easy to spot because when there are no lights on him he looks…

…like this. There are actually a few types of bugs I have seen here that light up. The coolest one I´ve seen is this little bug that hangs out in the tops of the trees and emits sporadic, but very bright flashes of light. The first time I saw that happen, I asked the closest person to me how it was possible that there was lightning when there were no clouds or even signs of a storm. She made me feel better when she said it was just a bug. Anyway, you get the idea of how bright it is.

This is one of the types of toad that has made it into my house. It´s a little funny to walk around at night without a light because you can hear them hop away from you if you get too close. Then you have to turn on the light to make sure you do not step on them.
So far, I´ve only mentioned the fun things that make it inside. There are way more things that aren´t fun that come in.
Like this beast. Every time I see a scorpion, I think of that show Battlebots. Remember? It was when people would build remote-controlled robots and then put them in a cage to bash each other up. I think it´s because scorpions to me look like they were made to just tear things apart.
That´s everything I have been able to take pictures of. This doesn´t include the spiders, cockroaches, fleas, millipedes, dogs, chickens, ducks, and flying friends that have ventured into my home. Sometimes, when I feel something biting me, I look first before killing it to see what it is. Sure enough, every now and then it´s some bug I have never seen before. Good thing Peace Corps gave me all those vaccinations.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teddy- I have loved reading your blog and finding out about all the awesome adventures you are partaking in! It sounds like you're having an amazing experience down there and I hope it has been and continues to be beyond fantastic. Keep posting pictures (they're awesome!), take care of yourself, and keep learning that Mayan language. Also, I am glad you are thoroughly vaccinated.

Anonymous said...

When I and Ai visited an island in the southern part of Japan gigantic toads came out at night and joined our party. I know what you mean about walking around at night and hearing them hop around. Also, when we were driving at night we would see them in the headlights and we'd have to swerve around them. We found out later that the islanders called that "Frog Slalom".

You're living in my childhood dream. I should have majored in recreation!

Unknown said...

crazy! that scorpion looks freakin deadly. i was watching that show on discovery channel "man vs. wild" and the dude freakin catches a scorpion in the middle of the sahara, pocketknifes the stinger off, then eats it right there. gnarls, but a good source of protein.

if it makes you feel any better, i have roaches in my apartment too.

the bucket.

Brian said...

Teddy J! I feel bad because I didn't even know you had left yet. Last time I talked to you was awhile ago and you were waiting to see if you got into the peace corps. I'm really excited for you and I hope you have a blast down there. This makes sense now because I sent you a TXT MSG the other day that said, "17 years old there's not much I can give." I was a little surprised when I didn't get any reaction.
Also, are the post offices here in the U.S. big enough to get a letter to you? If so, what is your address?

Anonymous said...

lucky ass.