Sunday, April 6, 2008

Names

Written April 4th (thanks seiya):
I have a lot of names here. I feel people of Latin decent are given a hard time in the States because it seems they have loads of them. They only have 4, 2 of which are given. The other 2 are inherited. One is from Dad and the other from Mom. I´ll use my old host family as an example. Dad is Mario Efrain Perez Rodriguez. Mom is Zonia Yolanda Quezada Ramirez. A daughter of their´s is Sheila Vanesa Perez Quezada. Get it? Just take the first last name from each parent, dad´s goes first. Sometimes you run into a kid with a last name like Lopez Lopez and it makes you wonder.
Ok, now that´s clear we can go back to my names. The Peace Corps folk are calling me Tigo (pronounced tee-go) or Tigo Ted due to the backpack I wear around town. It was given to me as a thank you by the people that run the Tigo phone company after I bought one of their brand new cellular telephones. When I introduce myself to a Guatemalan, I tell them both my first and middle name (Ted Sebastian) because quite a few of them have a hard time with the name Ted. As if that weren´t enough, the people who only speak Q´eqchi´ have a hard time saying both Ted and Sebastian, so their substitute for the common Spanish name Sebastian is Bex (pronounced Besh). So the next time you see me, feel free to call me any combination of those names and I´ll probably respond.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, things must be so different in Guatemala but I didn't know that you're 4 months ahead!

Marta and Josh said...

Good work, Ted. I left Ghana with the name: Nana Nkosuahema Efia Adubea (the first). You're awesome! Keep up the good work! -Marta