Sunday, April 6, 2008

Rio Icbolay

Here are some pics of another tourist attraction I will get to be working with. The people of the town Rocja' Pomtila' live on the Rio Icbolay. They take you upstream for 45 minutes until you get to the natural springs where the river is born. I had this weird feeling like I had done this trip before for about the first 10 minutes and I didn't know why. Then I realized it was because it's a lot like the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland. To the pictures!

Hey Babs, here is a picture of me. I hope this is enough evidence that I still look the same. That is Roberto our tourguide in the front of the boat.



That´s Don Ramiro in the foreground. He is my counterpart and a good guy. Felipe is driving the boat. I have to assume he´s a good guy because he doesn´t speak Spanish and I don´t speak Q´eqchi.

The tour ends where the river begins. That´s me sticking my head into one of the spring where water shoots out. It felt good.




I convinced Ramiro to do the same, but in a different spring.

I really like this place. It is pretty.

And lastly, here is a video of some of the waterfalls. I am excited to work with these people at this place. I hope you can see why.


1 comment:

Dan Grinnell said...

Hey Ted

My name is Dan I'll be in the Healthy Homes program with the Peace Corps in Guatemala and I'm leaving for staging in less than two weeks and was wondering what things you wish you would have brought down there and what things you wish you would have left back in the US. And any other advice would help, if you got time.
Mil Gracias