Friday, January 25, 2008

The City and a Vidi

I went to Guatemala City with my Spanish class and teacher this week. The purpose of the trip was to check out the US Embassy and the hospital we would have to go to in case anything bad was to happen. What a thrill that was. Not. In order to make the day more interesting, we decided to do as much touristy things as we could. That included touring the presidential palace, the central market, INGUAT (Guatemalan institute of tourism) headquarters, and an enjoyable lunch in the city´s central park. I was pleasantly surprised by all of it. It wasn’t nearly as dangerous as all the Peace Corps employees are making out to be. Pati, our teacher, was freaked out the entire day that we were going to get beaten and/or robbed. That prompted a new nickname for her that she gladly accepted, PreocuPati. Preocupada is the word for worried, so it works out quite nice. Don´t fret Babs, if I even travel to the city without Peace Corps permission, I´ll get kicked out. I won´t be doing that any time soon. Twas a good day in the city.

Here´s a quick video of my little host sister. She wrote out a whole speach to the fam. She practiced it several times before she let me tape it. This is the result.

translation: hello, my name is sheila vanesa perez. My dad´s name is Mario Perez. My mom´s name is Sonia Yolanda Quezada. I have a very beautiful family. I congratulate you for the son you have. He is very good and friendly. I hope that you have a good day and that you do everything that you have to get done.
I then ask don Mario what he thinks of that, to which he replies “esta bien”. Sheila then gets upset because she hasn’t said anything to Katie yet. I tell her now´s the time so she says: Hello Katie, your brother talks about you a lot. I think he loves you a lot. He says he loves you, your mom, and your dad the most in the world. I congratulate you for the brother that you have. God bless you. Goodbye.
Then I ask my host mom what she thinks of the message and she gets embarrassed. Good stuff.

6 comments:

Marta and Josh said...

Hey Ted! Neil told me about your blog, and I'm excited to keep track of what's going on in Guatemala! I may even refer some other applicants to your blog to get a day in the life. I'm happy you've already visited a volunteer at his/her site, 'cause life certainly is much different once you get out of the trainee phase! Enjoy - Marta Block

Anonymous said...

I remember all the exchange students that came to my house when i still lived in japan...we still keep in touch with some of them. i was about her age and i remember this girl jenny who was beautiful and she used to kick me when we were playing. oh and i walked in on mary when she was getting undressed.

Katherine said...

Ted! I just remembered today that you are posting stuff so I thought I'd check it out and see what you are up to. I am so jealous right now. The "vidi" of your little sister is adorable. You are lucky to have such a friendly family and they are lucky to have you as an addition! Take care, Katherine

FrankieB said...

Ted, that was awesome. I miss you friend. Hope you're well.

Unknown said...

Hey ted! It's meghan. Been reading your blog because I've been totally interested in joining the peace corps lately--seems pretty awesome from what you're writing! That video of your little host sister is adorable :) I hope everything is going well buddy, good luck with the park!

Unknown said...

Hi there, Ted! Boy, is she cute! Just sooo cool that you thought to record her! and she is definitely right about you being a great person. What a wonderful experience for all of you! Hey, if you need a riding helmet for all those low ceilings, let me know; I'll see what I can do for ya! Love, Annie :o)