Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My Family and House

In just about a week here, I am very encouraged by my host family. Don Mario is a teacher and Doña Yoli has a barber shop. They have 3 girls that are 25, 23, and 10, respectively. All the kids are students. Don't get any ideas, I don't think I'll be marrying any of them any time soon. The whole family seems to love to have fun, but is also willing to help make their pueblo a better place. The first thing I did with Doña Yoli and Sheila, the youngest girl, was play a joke on our next door neighbor. She also happens to be Don Mario´s mom. Her fence reaches maybe as high as my shoulder, which is way taller than both Yoli and Sheila, maybe put together. Anyway, they stood next to me, whispering things for me to say to her over the fence. After about a minute or so of me trying to convince this old lady that I was going to live with her, my host mom and sis laughed and the joke was over. Later on, the ladies left the house and Don Mario and I talked for a couple hours sharing ideas of how to make San Lucas a better place. I am going to be pretty busy the three months I live here, but hopefully I will get to actually do some of the stuff we talked about.

Here is a quick video of my house. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it is. I haven´t taken any pictures of the host fam yet, but those will be soon.

No comments: