Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Training

I have been here in Guatebuena for just about a week now and things are going well. Peace Corps is keeping us busy everyday with training, whether it is technical, language or cultural. I have been getting home pretty tired. So far, when I get home, I just eat, hang out with the fam, and then go to bed at about 10. The town I live in is called San Lucas Sacatepequez and is almost in the middle in between Guatemala City and Antigua for those of you who have a map. It's a decent sized town at about 7000ft above sea level. It has a soccer field and a basketball court in the middle and is one of the larger training sites. I guess I should explain what training is all about.
Here it is. There are 36 total folks that got here the same time as me that are what they call trainees. We were placed into groups according to our Spanish ability and job title. We were then placed into training sites that are near by the training center. As I said earlier, I live in San Lucas with one other dude. Babs, his name is Giorgio and he´s from Arizona. Good Guy. His place is about a 5 minute walk from mine. Anyway, San Lucas is about a 10 minute bus ride from the training center in Santa Lucia. There, we have lots of classes regarding health, safety, Spanish, job training, blah blah blah. It is a lot of time in class, but I think it will help when it comes time for me to move to my actual site. After 3 months of training, we will be sworn in as official Peace Corps volunteers and each person will be placed in a different site, most likely pretty far from the training center, for 2 years. That is about as brief as I can be to describe training.
So ya, San Lucas is my home for the next three months and I will have easy access to internet for that time. After this, I don´t know what my amenities will be like, so I´ll take advantage while I can.

2 comments:

FrankieB said...

oh ted, you are the living end.

glad to hear you're doing well, good buddy. you're definitely missed around the ol' spot.

i set up my "igoogle" (yeah its a stupid name, i know) to update every time you make a new blog post. so thanks for the updates, i love reading about people who's lives are more interesting than my own.

Anonymous said...

yo ted. saw the vid. its not a bad place at all. i'd be excited as hell. are there any babes in the city?

oh dude, i got a job at school. my first legitimate job in america. getting paid $8.85 an hour for sitting at the counter and signing people in for them to use the computers in the lab. most of the time i browse the net, play sudoku, or read. so chill.

hey look out for those jags.